There are several ways to find out information about properties in St. Joseph. The city and county offer a Geographic Information Systems (GIS) web portal that allows you to search addresses and find out more about them, including info like zoning.
To turn on the zoning layer:
- Look along the left-hand side, there are a number of options in the “Layer” tab. Locate “Jurisdiction”.
- Hit the “+” symbol next to “Jurisdiction”.
- Check the box next to “Planning and Zoning”.
This will allow you to see current zoning of properties in the city and county. All properties in the city are zoned a specific district. Information on zoning districts and their permitted and conditional uses can be found in Chapter 31 of the City Code.
You can search for a specific address via the toolbar along the top:
- Select “search”
- Select “Parcel Number”, “Owner Name”, “Property Address” (search by address), or whatever search option suits your needs.
- Enter the information into search bar and click “search”.