Effective May 1, 2023 the St. Joseph Animal Shelter will no longer take applications to adopt. Dogs and cats that are the property of the city will be adopted to the public on a first come, first serve process. Potential adopters must physically come to the shelter to meet and adopt a pet. The availability of animals cannot be guaranteed, and animals will not be placed on hold for adopters.
The St. Joseph Animal Shelter has an adopter’s welcome policy. Our goal is to minimize adoption barriers and make adopting a pet a positive experience. Animal shelter staff and volunteers use conversations and counseling to help match adoptable pets with customers. The adopter’s welcome policy embraces the community, assumes positive intent, and supports people and pets.
Dogs and cats that are the property of the city will be adopted to the public on a first come, first serve process. Potential adopters must physically come to the shelter to meet and adopt a pet. The availability of animals cannot be guaranteed, and animals will not be placed on hold for adopters.
Dogs and cats being held as a stray animal without identification (microchip or tag) cannot be adopted until their stray hold has expired and an owner has failed to redeem them. Adopters interested in adopting a dog or cat on a stray hold can pay a deposit in person for the cost of the animal adoption in full. If the dog or cat is claimed by its owner, the deposit shall be refunded to the potential adopter. If the animal is not claimed, the adopter must complete the adoption paperwork within one business day of the expiration of the stray hold. Notification of this process shall be provided to the adopter upon payment of the adoption fees. If the adopter fails to complete the adoption paperwork and take ownership of the animal within one business day of the animal becoming available, the animal shall be placed in an available status for other adopters and the deposit shall be forfeited. Adoption deposits on stray animals shall be limited to one deposit per animal.
Dogs and cats being held as stray with identification will be available for adoption on a first come, first serve basis once they have been placed in an available status. Adoption deposits will not be accepted on animals with a known owner. Reuniting pets with their owners is a priority to the St. Joseph Animal Shelter.
Animal Control and Rescue staff members will consider the following factors when processing adoptions:
- Adopters must be 18 years of age or older.
- Adopters cannot have a documented history of animal abuse or neglect.
- Adopters cannot adopt an animal for, or on behalf of, another person whose application has previously been denied.
- Adopters cannot adopt an animal for the purpose of surrendering such animal to another animal rescue or shelter facility.
- Adopters cannot have a documented history of animal abandonment, including an animal being impounded at the shelter without being reclaimed.
- Adopters cannot adopt more than three animals (dogs and cats, excluding working cats) within the same 12-month period.
- The animal must demonstrate a positive disposition towards people and other animals, in general.
- The successful adoption of an animal into a particular household must be guided by considerations in addition to those set forth above (e.g., children and other animals).
- The successful adoption of an animal into a particular household requires staff to provide adoption counseling to each applicant, with the opportunity for the applicant to visit with the animal(s) available for adoption.
- Adoption applicants should be provided the opportunity for visitation with the animals available for adoption.
- The safety of children in the household, and the welfare of the animals, takes first priority when considering adoptions.
- Adoption fee includes spay/neuter, age-appropriate vaccinations, flea control, and microchip.
- City registration is an additional $5
- Feline Leukemia/FIV Test is an additional $25 if the cat has been tested
|Male Dog (under 50lbs)||$137.50|
|Male Dog (over 50lbs)||$157.50|
|Female Dog (under 30lbs)||$142.50|
|Female Dog (31-50lbs)||$147.50|
|Female Dog (51-80lbs)||$162.50|
|Female (over 81lbs)||$172.50|
- Adoption fee includes spay/neuter, age-appropriate vaccinations, flea control, age-appropriate heartworm preventative/testing and microchip.
- City registration is an additional $5